top of page

Application Guidelines


Applicants must be an active Ph.D. student in a field related to Near Eastern studies (including, but not limited to: Archaeology, Egyptology, Hebrew Bible and North-West Semitics, Art History, or Assyriology) at the time of application and during the period of funding (Summer 2022). If you will graduate before the summer, you are not eligible for this scholarship!

Please keep your application brief; a maximum of 500 words for each question is ideal, and you are welcome to write less.

Shortlisted applicants will be notified by March 20th, and interviews will take place on Saturdays and Sundays during April.

Shortlisted applicants are required to appear live on the Digital Hammurabi YouTube channel to discuss their research interests and present their summer plans, and successful applicants are further required to return to the channel to report back on their experiences. Interviews typically take place in April and October/November. If you require accommodations for your interview, please note this in your application!

Successful applicants are chosen by a system that allows all H.A.P.S. donors to vote for the research they would most like to see funded. If shortlisted, parts of your application will be made available to our donors to aid in their decision-making. Please do not include sensitive information in those questions! We also recommend writing for a non-specialist audience; the candidates who are successful are those most able to make their research appealing to people outside of academia.

Funds will be distributed in two phases - 80% at the beginning of June, and the remaining 20% following the project summary presentation. If you do not complete the summary presentation by December 10th 2022, you may not receive your total grant. Exceptions are made for this in case of illness, or unforeseen difficulties. Please email before December if you need an extension!

bottom of page